Wednesday, April 9, 2008

American Idol - A Soon to be Grandma's Guide to the Top 8

This week was Inspiration Week - the singers were asked to pick an inspiring song. That sounded kind of fun - but really, I have to say (in my best Randy impersonation) "Check it out dawg - check it out. This was really jusy okay for me. Just okay."

I kind of think that most of these kids are now on the same level - they are all good - or they wouldn't be where they are. But I have to say - nobody really stood out in the crowd.

Here's my review:

Michael Johns - “Dream On” - It was okay. I didn't love it. I think he has a great voice - and maybe going first made it less memorable - but I think he could have picked a better song.

Syesha Mercado - “I Believe” - I liked it. That's all.

Jason Castro - “Over the Rainbow” - I love this particular version of this song and I was really enjoying it until.....my daughter Michelle called to tell me how excited she was about it and then added "I want this song to be in my funeral". Um. That threw me a bit - I didn't enjoy the rest of it so much. I told her I don't intend to be at her funeral. She said she knew that - her best friend would be in charge. Does anyone else find that whole conversation a little weird?

Kristy Leigh Cook - “Anyway” -I have not been a big fan of Kristy's - but I love Martina McBride - and I have to say Kristy knocked this one out of the park. Good job Kristy!

David Cook - “Innocent” - I didn't care for his white coat. Reminded me of Ringo Starr. And I also didn't care for his song. He is talented - but I would never by his cd.

Carly Smithson - “The Show Must Go On” - Carly has run out of songs to sing. At least the ones she sings really well.

David Archuleta - “Angels” - This sweet child is sooooooo talented. He did an amazing job.

Brooke White - “You’ve Got A Friend” - I didn't like it so much. It didn't sound special at all. And I love Brooke - I would love for her to win. But this didn't do it for her.

I predict the bottom three to be:
Carly
Michael
Seyesha

I predict Seyesha will leave.

And would someone please dress Paula. She needs some fashion advice. I'm just saying.

6 comments:

terri said...

Great review. I agree with you about Paula. Someone help her.

www.mycommenterri.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Carly, Brook and Sayesha were my bottom three this week.

arly sounded and looked mad all the way through.

Sayesha has a very hard time relating to the audience. She has this thin veneer that we just can't seem to crack through.

And Brook looked scared to death adn about to burst into tears the entire time. I am not sure what it was. She does so much better with an instrument. I think that is her security.

Hehehe. Paula wears clothes that are too small for her. Bless her heart. (that is what proper southern women say when they have just gossiped about someone).

gail@more than a song said...

Paula, I wonder if she looks at herself in the mirror! She was busting out of that dress and she does need some help dressing!
Ditto, ditto on David Cook and that jacket and song...none of them just wowed. Kristy did do a good job with hers though and I believe will be safe this week but will probably go soon. Carly and Syesha will probably be in the bottom 2 and I think it's a toss up with the 3rd; could be Michael, David C or Brooke. Maybe Carly is going tonight?

Judy said...

I would have to agree that last night was just so-so...although I'm always happy when my little boy David gets good reviews. He's just so darn cute! Carly...umm...she was not "inspirational" in the least; instead she seemed mad to me. I think I agree that she might be in the bottom 3. Jason and David are my current favorites.

Mishel said...

I missed most of the show last night--but yikes! Paula's dress was um, scary! : (

Julie said...

I loved Jason's song too. That's funny about your daughter. It would be a good funeral song. lol.

Julie