Monday, April 23, 2007

Book Review - Chasing Francis: A Pilgrim's Tale


This book was written by Ian Morgan Cron
What caught my attention about this book in the first place were three things: One, the cover was an Italian countryside scene; two, it had a study guide in the back and I love study guides; and three, the back cover said that Chase Falcon, megachurch pastor has lost his faith, and he did it in front of his congregation. Mercy!
I found this to be a great book and caused me to have a lot of questions about myself. In fact, I have encouraged my husband to read it so we can discuss it together. (I covet his wisdom!)
Chase Falcon had run out of answers. He had built a big church and should have been enjoying the fruit of his labor, but things just weren't right. And finally, when a tragedy occurs involving a little girl in his congregation, he cannot come to terms with why God allowed this to happen. After his spiritual breakdown, his church requests that he take a sabbatical. Having no where else to go, he meets up with his uncle who sends him on a pilgrimage through Italy, following the life of St. Francis of Assisi. The descriptions of Italy are breathtaking and the reader gets a strong picture of the life and beliefs of St. Francis. Through this journey Chase falls in love with Jesus all over again and his faith is renewed even though he must make some difficult decisions in his life.
This book challenged my thinking in several areas of my life. How much am I looking inward versus outward? What did Jesus mean by helping the poor? Who are the poor? Does my church have a healthy vision for the people who sit in its pews? What does it mean to just "play church"? I have had these questions pop into my mind frequently and that usually means God is trying to speak to me. I have decided to start listening to what He is asking me - even though I know that intense soul searching is never very fun - but very worthwhile.
I really did like this book and I give it:

5 comments:

Special K ~Toni said...

Wow- 4 egg-ys! Must be good!

How in the world do you find time to read for pleasure with working and school and church and family,etc.?

I suppose I could give up my hour(s) of blogging, but I would be missed. I think. I hope.

Unknown said...

I added this one to my list too.. And in the process of adding this to the list I discovered your list on the side bar .. and I got down on that list and decided to add them all ... and realized that I already had. How 'bout that? You are my reading mentor. And I don't have time to read right now. I'm with Toni ... I could stop blogging but what fun would that be???

I guess I will just wait for retirement to get it all together. I read a LOT in the summer.

Robin said...

I couldn't imagine living without reading! Thankfully, I am a fast reader. I always have two or three books going at a time and I pick them up and read a page or two or five whenever I have a minute. I probably do most of my reading when I go to bed. I have to admit though, this blogging thing has really cut into my reading time - but hey, I'm reading blogs and that counts!
And yes Toni - you would be missed!

Queen of My Domain said...

Wow sounds like an interesting book. I'll have to add it to my list of books to read.

Cindy

Tara said...

She is the fastest reader I know, that's how she has time!