Wednesday, July 25, 2007

All Things Septic

I know - it IS a strange title for a post. But it does adequately describe in three words the way my life has gone lately! Not really, I still know I have so much to be thankful for - but can anybody tell me why-oh-why does everything happen all at once? For those of you who read me regularly, (and I don't know the why to that either - but I sure do appreciate you) you know that we have had major septic system problems in our 7 year old home. I never imagined that a septic system would only be good for seven years. In fact, it should last much, much longer. But it seems that when we built our home in 1999 the State Health Department mandated a "new and improved" (those words always scare me) septic system. Turns out they were a disaster and there have been lots of problems with them. Of course the good old State Department has no intentions of making good on any of them. So we had the awesome privilege of tearing up our back yard and doing it over the right way. Thankfully, my good husband thought ahead and rented a sod cutter so we could replace the sod on the 12' X 30' section of grass that was removed. So it looks better than it could have. All except the part where the tractors and bull-dozers entered, and exited, and entered, and exited our yard. We now have hills and valleys in our once flat landscaping. Oh well. I can't tell you what a relief it is to be able to use the bathroom, the shower, the washer, the dishwasher, the garbage disposal, and the faucets once again. And even though my house still has a faint odor of bleach - that is far better than the odor that preceded it! And I can hardly wait to get the bill for all of this. I have a feeling that is really going to stink too.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Oh dear! We're on septic too so I know the awful troubles one can have! When we first moved it the whole thing had to be redone. A very expensive job!

kittyhox said...

I am so happy you are reaching the end of this most unpleasant journey! What a hassle and headache. I hope the rest of your summer is much more peaceful and that you can enjoy your backyard once again!

Laurel said...

"I have a feeling that is really going to stink too."

ROFL.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Okay, that really stinks! Anytime we drive by a house and the yard is all dug up, we know - sewer, $....sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it. xoox

pei girl said...

I know what you are going through my daughter had to replace her system last summer and it was really a mess now you would never know it was like that to see her yard now and ouch (the bill) but well worth it.have a super awesome day Robin)hugs from the Island):0)

Karen said...

Oh wow... we will be building a home back in Nebraska in a few years and will have to have a septic system as well. I sure hope the state of NE hasn't made a similar mistake!