Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Homemade Soup

Even though I am still mourning the loss of summer (my favorite time of the year), I am enjoying the cooler weather of fall. And there is nothing like cooler weather to make me start thinking of soups and stews. Especially homemade ones. So I am thinking about making some Homemade Chicken and Noodle soup soon - it is one of my families favorites. Here is how I make it:

HOMEMADE CHICKEN AND NOODLE SOUP
Fill a pot that will hold the amount of soup you want with water and boil a chicken until it is done. Remove the chicken and let cool. While it is cooling prepare the noodles:

In a stainless steel bowl mix:
2 cups flour
3 egg yolks
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup water

I kneed the dough and then roll it out flat. After it is rolled out I then use my secret ingredient: nutmeg.
Sprinkle the nutmeg lightly over the surface of the dough and roll over it a time or two with the roller to press it in. Then I cut the noodles into 1/2 inch strips and throw them in the cooking broth. I also add about 2 tbsps. of chicken bouillion to the broth. Then I debone the chicken and add the meat to the broth and let it all simmer for about 30 minutes. It is absolutely delicious and the left overs are even better!
You can roll out your pasta much thinner, but I like the "dumpling" texture I get when I make them a little thicker. They are a kind of a cross between a noodle and a dumpling. It sounds labor intensive, but it's not - it goes together very quickly. And it smells wonderful in your house while it's cooking. Put a few biscuits in the oven and you have a perfect fall menu.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Nutmeg? Well, that is something! I never would have thought.

It sounds delicious.

I made a minestrone soup the other night and my family though I had gone to Ol*ive G*arden to buy theirs.

I'm hoping that is a compliment, because it made a huge pot and we will be eating leftovers tonight.

Dawn said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful! I have never made noodles, and don't know if I"m up to starting at this late date. But good for you!!

I love good soups. There's a place in our student center called Spoons that has about 5 different kinds of soups and salads each day. All sound so yummy! Too pricey for every day, though.

Mindy said...

Funny you should post this today. Brady asked me this very morning if I would make homemade chicken noodle soup for supper. I'll just have to send him your way! :)
-Mindy

Karen said...

I've never thought of using nutmeg before. That sounds really good! My mom makes chicken and dumplings the way you do, and they are so good. Now I'm hungry again! LOL!

gail@more than a song said...

I love soups, most any time of the year! But especially in the fall and winter. You really do this one up right...and I was going to say it looked like a lot of work and then you said it goes together quickly! Thanks for putting the directions up Robin.

Leah said...

Your pot of homemade soup is making my mouth water! The first (and only) time I made noodles, they were so labor-intensive! Rolling, cutting, drying, flipping, more drying - jeesh! Your recipe sounds a whole lot easier. I just might give it another try. Maybe.

Thanks for your comment on my blog today about The Kite Runner. I agree with you - Amir needed Jesus! =)

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

Yum, Yum! I will have to try this recipe!

Sonya said...

This looks very tasty! If only my hubby would eat it. Maybe I can incourage him to do so if it smells good while cooking it! Thanks for sharing!