Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Little Sewin' and A Little Knittin'

I have had a wonderfully productive few days in the "Making Things For Grandbabies" department. Let me just tell you - this could become slightly obsessive. It's just so much fun. I wouldn't have a problem at all quitting my job and just staying home all day sewing and knitting for my sweet babies.

Here are some prairie points and fabric cut out and ready to sew together for Ava Claire's quilt. I love the colors - bright pink, soft pink, and green. It's nice that everyone knows she is a girl so I don't have to keep everything a secret like I had to for Tyler.


I just finished this little hat for Ava Claire. It's from the Itty Bitty Hats book by Susan B. Anderson. Anyone who loves to knit for babies must have this book and it's companion Itty Bitty Nursery. There are so many cute baby things in it - the hardest part is just choosing what to make. I'm looking for some blue and orange yarn to make a special hat for Tyler - his daddy loves the BSU Bronco's - and the first game is August 30 - yikes! I need to get started.

I knit these little moccasins for Tyler and now I'm working on a pink pair for Ava Claire. They knit up really quick and are just adorable.


Here's some flannel all washed and ready to sew into little receiving blankets for Miss Ava. I made a dozen or so of them for Tyler and his mama tells me she wouldn't know what to do without them. Sometimes it's the most simple things that work the best. Don't you just love that pink fabric with the green frogs! Miss Ava's nursery is decorated in ducks and frogs so I think her mama will love this one.


And here is a package I just got in the mail. Some of the softest yarn I have ever touched. And I can't wait to finish up a few of the other projects so I can get this purple yarn on my needles and start working up a little something special for Miss Ava.





11 comments:

Judy said...

Those flannel receiving blankets really are the best! A friend made and gave me 4 when Grayson was born and then another 4 (in pink) when Molly came along and we loved, loved, loved them! Another favorite that we still use every day--bibs made out of washcloths! They're big so they cover more, and they're so easy to wash!

Barb said...

Oh my goodness, you don't have to tell me about sewing and knitting and crocheting for the grandbabies, Robin. My word, it's the easiest addiction to fall into in the world.

And yes, I do love the frog fabric - I have about every version of that fabric they make! I didn't know, however, that it's available in flannel. All mine is cotton.

My niece Sarah has mentioned Itty Bitty Hats over and over again. How I wish I had time enough to truly learn to knit. I started this winter but then my little shop took off and now, I have no time at all to just sit and learn something new.

Sad. I mean, it's not SAD of course, but it makes me sad to not have time to play with new things.

Flannel receiving blankets are like burp cloths - a mom can't have too many of them.

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

Sew Beautiful! I love your grandmotherly heart.

Tiffany said...

What fun!!! The creativity that you have is such a blessing to your grand babies and inspires me!

Dawn said...

Maybe you should quit work and start a store like Barb's - you would not be in competition, because you do different things - I'd buy something! You do great work.

Family W said...

I too love the itty bitty hats book. I've made a couple myself. Yours looks GREAT! There is almost *nothing* as therapeutic as sewing and knitting! :)

Blessings,
Lynn

Mishel said...

LOVE the little hat!

You are going to be busy, busy! What a blessing that you are making all these fun things for your grandbabies--my children cherish (even 17 yr. old Zach!) the things their beloved Grandma Margie made for them. And while she is now in heaven--they have those things that she made--especially for them! : )

gail@more than a song said...

You're so busy and productive! Cute things you've got going there..I love the fabrics, and flannel receiving blankets are the best! She'll get tons of use out of them.

Kathy Schwanke said...

Ambitious lady!!!! I loooove that little hat! You are so talented! And I love the colors too!!

Happy crafting!

Dawn said...

YOu must have been really busy sewin' and knittin' this week!

Aunt Angie said...

Those are precious!!! I wish I could do that!!! I love that cap! AND those precious booties!!!
I have a quilt started...but that's it...just started!
I have GOT to get busy!