Saturday, August 14, 2010

Off My Needles

As much as I love to knit, I don't seem to knit as much in the summer. Not because it is too hot but because the days are longer and I stay busier longer. By the time I sit down in the evening, the day is gone and I am tired. Too tired to knit.

But I have finished a few projects. I can't remember if I shared this one or not. I gave it to my niece at her baby shower and she loved it. It is called Bobbie Bear and you can find the pattern here. It was a quick pattern and once I got over trying to figure out the directions before I actually knit them - it went quite well. I love the bear and I will probably make more for future baby showers. I used Blue Sky Alpaca Organic Cotton. It was incredibly soft yarn.


I have learned that I love knitting toys. They are quick, cute and my grandbabies love them. While I was in the mountains on our anniversary week I made these little mice

They were very quick to knit up and I must admit seeing those tails peeking out from under a baby blanket causes me to look twice! The pattern is called Mousie by Ysolda Teague. I used a yarn by Debbie Bliss called Baby Cash with an extra yarn called KidSilk Haze to give it a bit of a halo. I really loved how they turned out.

Then I decided to knit a baby blanket for my new grandson Aiden Ryan (who has yet to make his debut appearance as of the typing of this post). I had seen this sweet blanket in Susan B. Anderson's book, Itty Bitty Nursery. It is called The Circles and Stripes Baby Stroller blanket. I used KnitPicks Simply Cotton yarn - another extremely soft yarn. This was my first attempt at cable knitting (on the border) and it turned out to be really fun.It turned out so well and was such a fun knit I decided to make two. This time I put his name on the blanket. I really love making these blankets - they are fast and easy and so, so, so soft.

Just this weekend I finished my Cedar Leaf Shawlette.
I love this pattern. The pattern is very cleverly written and it really held my interest. I used the Lady Godiva yarn the pattern called for - a lovely wool/silk blend. It is such a pretty shawl/scarf and can be worn several ways. I am almost looking forward to cooler weather so I can wear it! The pattern is written by a new, young designer named Alana of Never Not Knitting. I love her podcasts.

Many knitters enjoy having two, three, four, or ten projects going at a time. Not me. I prefer to have only one project going so I can give it my full attention. Just this weekend I cast on for these fingerless mitts. A friend recently asked me what purpose fingerless mittens serve. I had to think about it and I really couldn't come up with a good answer. But I think they are so pretty and I think knitting gloves with no fingers will be definitely easier than knitting gloves with fingers. I'll keep you posted on the progress. I'm using a great yarn called Cascade Cloud 9 and I'm making them in the charcoal colorway. If they turn out as pretty as the pattern looks, I think I would also like a cream colored pair.

So anyway, that pretty much sums up my summer knitting. If you belong to Ravelry, you can find me here. I have lots and lots of patterns in my favorites. I'm quite sure I won't live long enough to make them all!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Wow, you've been busy knitting - your fingers have been too busy knitting to come over and type!

Anxious to hear about the new grandson - is he overdue?

I asked you about your upside down tomato plants - did they bear fruit?