Sunday, March 16, 2008

Circus Circus and the Crucifixion

I'm running this post again this year - because it is Holy Week and this is one of my sweetest memories.

When my two older girls were five and six, we embarked on a family vacation to Disneyland. The distance we had to drive was far and the route indicated that Las Vegas would be a natural stopping place for the night. Having two little girls with us, we made the decision to stop at Circus Circus hoping that little eyes wouldn't be exposed to too many forms of "adult" entertainment. We pulled into the parking lot when suddenly I heard my five year old, Tara, break into sobs in the back seat. "I don't want to go here, I don't want to go here" she emphatically cried. After several minutes of trying to discover what the problem was, Tara told us that she didn't want to go here because as she said, "This is where they hung Jesus on the cross!" My husband and I looked at each other bewildered as to why in the world she would think this. Finally we were able to calm her down and discover the reason for her alarm. We assured her that Jesus was not hung on the cross here, that had happened long ago in a faraway place.
"Tara, honey, why do you think Jesus was killed here?"
"Because, mommy, you said they gambled for his clothes".

Ah...the innocence of a child.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

From the mouths of babes! I don't want to stay there either - there is something very evil feeling about that town!

gail@more than a song said...

How cute! Kids say the cutest things and it makes such fun memories.

Tracey said...

Ahhhh...what a sweetheart she is!

Aunt Angie said...

Priceless...and Robin, I had remembered that you were expecting 1 grand...but now 2!!!! Wow! How great for you!!!
Be blessed friend!