Friday, April 25, 2008

Potpourri Friday


Are you ready for a weekend? I am. Except I have to work tomorrow - it's a national test day for a particular test our university uses - so I have to be there to proctor it. The only good thing about it is that I get paid for it. And that is the money we use to help pay Jessica's high school tuition. Thank goodness - one more month and that will be all paid for. After that I intend to put the test proctoring money I earn into our travel fund. So we can, well, you know, travel. To lots of different places. Someday.

Speaking of traveling, I have been very homesick for Hawaii lately. Not that it was ever my home - I went there once five years ago for our 25th wedding anniversary. It was definitely one of the happiest times with my husband and I am longing to go back again. We went in May of 2003 and I always get a bit wistful this time of year. I have lots of happy memories preparing for that trip. And being in that beautiful place. I am not a photogenic person at all - and I'm not just saying that! But every picture taken of me in Hawaii turned out really well. I always say it was because I was just so happy. Interestingly enough, when we got home from that vacation some of the hardest things we have ever gone through in our professional and personal lives happened. I think God was very kind to give us that wonderful time to be refreshed and restored - because of course, He knew all along what we were coming home to.

Are you following the little baby tickers on my blog page? Have you noticed how close that little egg is getting to the nest? Oh. My. Goodness. It won't be any time at all before I am holding that sweet little bundle of love, learning all about being a grandmother. And then to think another one will be arriving in the fall. God is just too good to me.

My sweet friend Angie gave me a sweet award this week. She is such a sweetheart and has suffered such a great loss with her sister going to Heaven. Angie is one of the most thankful people I know and her love for Jesus shines through every single circumstance she is going through - good or bad. She has lifted me and my family up in prayer often - and to think we have never officially met! But it doesn't matter because we are what the award says - Sisters of the Faith.

My friend Kelsey started a blog and I encourage all of you to go over and visit her and meet her sweet little family. They live on a ranch and her husband trains horses. And they have two of the sweetest little girls. Go pay them a visit - tell them I sent you. She calls it A Sweetness to the Soul - and it is exactly that.

Last week we saw the movie - Expelled and I highly recommend it to everyone. It is a documentary that discusses academic freedom - or more precisely - the lack of academic freedom in our country. It is very interesting and the first time I have ever gone to theatre where everyone clapped at the end of the movie. It is the most well done documentary I have ever seen. Go see it. Really.

And I was so surprised Carly went home this week. I really thought it would be Brooke or Jason. We are down to the final 5. I still think David C will win it.

Happy Weekend!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I was stunned when Brooke and Jason got through. They must have some amazing fans who vote and vote. But I was pretty tired of Carly's tat! I don't like that song, or the concept of that musical, and thought she really yelled too much.

We're the same way about Hawaii - homesick. The best vacations we've ever had were our two times there. Can't wait to go back (but hear the flights are incredibly out of sight right now).

Being a grandma is incredible, as you know by my posts! You'll love every minute.

Have a wonderful time proctoring that test - I hope you get to read while you're sitting there!

Unknown said...

I was surprised with Carly too. But again, at this stage, she will be fine. She has a great career ahead of her.

I am late in commenting on your Friday post, but headed over to your freind's new blog.

Have a great new week.

gail@more than a song said...

I'm way later for your Friday post! I too was stunned that Jason got through, not quite as much at Brooke b/c that vote for the worst site is now pushing her through.
Getting exciting about your new baby coming soon!
I'll try to visit your friend's site this week.