Monday, April 28, 2008

Weekend Snapshots

On Friday evening we were both so tired so we decided to lounge in front of the tv since we had just received some new movies in the mail. My husband is a major Lonesome Dove fan. He had never seen the prequel even though he has watched the original Lonesome Dove oh about forty eleven times. Now we know how it all began. I can tell you anything you want to know about Gus and Captain Call. I know, I know, the questions will just be flooding in LOL! Of course, I don't like to just sit and watch movies without getting anything done, so that's why you see the yarn and needles. It's surprising how much handwork I get done while watching my husband's beloved westerns. And I learn all about the wild, wild west. Lucky me. Unfortunately I can't show you what I'm knitting because then you would know what the baby will be and I am still sworn to secrecy. Six more weeks. Just six more weeks and I can share this most precious information.

I did catch a few stolen moments to read. I am currently reading Vonette Bright and Nancy Moser's Sister Circle series. They are wonderful. And such good writing.



My sister-in-law gave me these facinating seed balls. All you do is lay them on top of the soil and water them. The directions say not to bury them. Fascinating. I can't wait to see what grows.

I also got a little time to scatter some flower seeds. Our spring has been so cold that this was the first really nice weekend to spend outside. I have some major yardwork to do before Jess's graduation party.


I also found a bit of time to try out the quilting feature on my sewing machine. I discovered I have quite a learning curve on this. Please don't enlarge the picture - trust me, you don't really need to see a close up of this. The blue ink looking stuff is the line I am supposed to be sewing on. You can see I have much practicing to do. I took this stitching out and redid it and it looks much better now. But it is harder to do than it looks. The quilting feature is really awesome. You don't use the foot pedal. If the fabric moves the machine sews. When you stop moving the fabric the machine stops. It's like the machine is alive and thinking. I'm not used to that and it took me a while to adjust.
I am working on two quilts right now. One of them I am hand quilting - easier but much more time intensive. I don't have time to hand quilt both of them before the baby comes so I am going to machine quilt one. Again, I can't show you the project because then the secret would be out. But I'm really pleased with this project.

Of course we also went to church this weekend. That works out pretty well since my husband is the pastor and all. My husband preached a great sermon on holiness. One of my favorite lines was "When we seek God's holiness, we don't get more of God - He gets more of us".
I didn't think to take my camera to church - I wish I had though - that might be kind of fun. I might have to try that next time.

Now it's Monday. Weekend is over. I'm back to work. Bummer.

3 comments:

Karen said...

We love the Lonesome Dove series, too. Anything to do with the west, is good entertainment for us. I thought the prequel was pretty good, considering LD was a tough act to follow. Amazing how the early characters resembled the later ones -- Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall.

M&M_Mama said...

I didn't even know there was a prequel to Lonesome Dove. I guess it never even crossed my mind how Gus and Captain Call met. It sounds like you had a nice productive weekend. Keep us updated on the seed balls. I've never heard of them.

gail@more than a song said...

I might have to check on some of those Lonesome Dove ones if hubby is interested...I'm running out of ideas for Netflix!
You look like you're making great progress to me on your quilting!