My first baby had been born on February 10 and my mom flew out to take care of us and every evening we would curl up on the sofa in the living room and watch the US Hockey team and Eric Heiden and his sister Beth as they skated around and around and around that ice rink. And the ice skating - oh my - it was amazing to watch such beautiful graceful talent. I cried when Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner had to withdraw because of his injury.
It was such a happy time for me personally. That was when my love affair for all things Olympic began.There is just something amazing about watching people who are so driven and so talented and so focused on achieving a goal.
I find it amusing that watching the Olympics makes a person want to
And how about the 41 year old woman who won a silver in her swimming competition. You go girl! I think there is also an older man there competing with his son-in-law. But by far the Olympics belong to the young and the strong Michael Phelps' and Shawn Johnsons'. And it belongs to all of us who like to live our lives vicariously through them.
My favorite events are the women's gymnastics. I love watching those girls do seemingly impossible maneuvers on all that equipment.
My arrival time at work in the morning has been suffering greatly this week - I just can't get to bed on time - not when I have to see if Michael has won another gold medal. Not when I have to see if the US gymnastic team might outdo the Chinese.
However, I do have some questions about the Olympics. Just some observations on my part.
1. Why do the women beach volleyball players wear next to nothing and the guys dress appropriately in shorts and tanks? Falling down in that sand with next to nothing on can't feel all that good. I'm just saying.
2. Who on God's green earth really believes those little Chinese gymnastic girls are 16? You've got to be kidding - I'm guessing they are between 8 and 12 years old. The announcers were saying their passports stated they are 16. Helloooo - can anybody say forgery? Why do we not push this envelope a little more? Why aren't we complaining more?
3. During the swimming competitions who are the men in suits who walk up and down the length of the pool and what is their job?
4. Does anybody understand the new gymnastic scoring procedures? Anybody?
5. And finally, has anybody noticed some of the women swimmers seem to be missing eyebrows? I have looked closely and it almost seems like they are taped over or shaved. I have to say this really bothers me. Please tell me this isn't going to be the next fashion trend. Ewww....